Artist-in-Residence Fellowship 10_04_23
The Artist-in-Residence fellowship offers talented artists from all artistic disciplines an opportunity to work on a project within an international and interdisciplinary academic setting. It is a collaboration with the Society of Arts.
About the Artist-in-Residence Fellowship
NIAS and the Society of Arts set up the Artist-in-Residence Fellowship to highlight the value of the arts in society and also to reinstate the close relationship between the arts and sciences that existed in the nineteenth century academies. The view is that the cross-pollination between creative approaches and formal scientific disciplines will strengthen ties and trigger novel approaches and insights.
NIAS and the Society of Arts cooperate to finance a residential fellowship of five months (one semester) each academic year, offering artists an opportunity to share ideas with scholars from the humanities, social sciences and other disciplines. The purpose of the residency is to carry out an in-depth study of the theoretical aspects of a subject.
- NIAS and the Society of Arts offer one fellowship of five months per academic year
- The fellowship is for 1) artists who live and work in the Netherlands and 2) for artists with a Dutch nationality living in the Netherlands or abroad
- The Artist-in-Residence residential fellowship at NIAS includes a studio apartment (or equivalent daily commute expenses, depending on the fellow’s home location), a personal office (no artist’s studios), daily lunch, research facilities (computer, library services etc.)
- The Artist-in-Residence is eligible for a grant to compensate for lost earnings for the duration of the fellowship.
Application and Selection
- Members of the Society of Arts can apply themselves; other candidates must be nominated by a member of Society of Arts, KNAW or Young Academy.
- Use the application form to submit your application or nomination/
- The NIAS Rector and Chair of the Society of Arts select a candidate.
- For questions regarding Artist-in-Residence fellowships, please contact Akademie van Kunsten (Annelies ten Have: email@example.com or call 020 551 07 46) or NIAS (Dindy van Maanen: firstname.lastname@example.org).